Monday, March 11, 2013

Wedding day

Day 11 of 31
Yesterday we went to a wedding of an extended family member on my husband's side.  It was a beautiful wedding, but also very emotional.  The mother of the groom passed away from breast cancer and the grandmother of the bride passed away from pancreatic cancer.  Both were given beautiful tributes during the ceremony and there was quite literally not a dry eye in the house.  Nearly 10 years into my own marriage, it is refreshing to go to weddings to remind myself of that different stage of life and reflect on the stage that I'm in now. 

The wedding was a "no child" wedding which did not really disappoint me in any way.  Even though I adore my children (of course), there is not much for them to do in a crowded reception hall full of fancy things.  Of course, the children were still one of the main points of conversation and I was happy to whip out my phone to share pictures.  I still have trouble leaving them for so long, but I'm thankful to have a babysitter who I trust without reservation.

The wedding was in Philadelphia (about 1.5 hours away) and we left with ample time, arriving in the city with about 50 minutes to spare.  But when we turned onto the Ben Franklin Parkway, there was suddenly gridlock traffic.  It was the St. Patrick's Day Parade, egads!!  We were following the detour and were literally 2 blocks from the hotel but we were stuck in this terrible traffic.  Luckily, I spotted a parking spot on the other side of the street, so we made a quick u-turn, parked, and walked the 2 blocks to the hotel.  It's been so long since I've lived in the city, I've forgotten about these types of problems!

3 comments:

  1. I've been to two weddings since Izzy was born, one with and one without her. Thankfully my entire family was at the one with her so we still had fun. However, I did have blast at the one she didn't attend. After all, we all need alone time with our spouses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, scary to encounter those traffic problems, especially when you're attending an event. Glad yours was solved with a quick u-turn and a parking spot. Good day for luck to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love weddings! Another is coming up in our family in a few weeks, in fact, I need to finish up this comment and get cracking. I'm in charge of the wedding video for the rehearsal video. I'm keeping it short and sweet... Only the clearest shots and videos will do.
    But still no dress :)
    Thanks for reminding me... I'm off...

    ReplyDelete