Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A perfect 30 minutes

I guess I'm getting old.  Between the 3 (count 'em 3) drinks that I had at the wedding on Sunday afternoon, a short night's sleep and perhaps the switch to daylight savings time, I was exhausted on Monday.  Throw in lunch duty, ISS duty, after school parking lot duty and a union meeting, I was utterly delirious.  By the time I drove to daycare, I had a splitting headache, I was getting dizzy and my stomach felt upset.

Luckily, when I got home, my husband was already home from work and volunteered to do dinner duty with the kids.  I took an hour off, retreated to the basement and watched last week's Project Runway which involved crafting dresses from duck tape.


After the hour and when I could hear that the kids were done with dinner, I went back upstairs and offered to put the baby to bed.  I thought she was tired but she only drank a small amount from her bottle and was ready to play.  I guess she was able to read the situation and knew just what I needed.  We had the most extraordinary 30 minutes of playtime.  We were playing a version of peek-a-boo with her play house, she would hide and when I found her she giggled.  She is almost walking and did a whole lot of walking right into my arms.  I don't usually get undivided time with her since I have 2 children and this evening was just precious.  Finally, she put on a little fuss so I gave her the rest of her bottle and she went right to sleep.  After those 30 minutes I felt refreshed, my head was a little better and I felt ready to cope with the rest of the night.  I put the 4 year old to bed and he also seemed to sense what I needed because we read our 3 books with ease. 

Not my child, but wanted to show the house.  This is a fantastic toy, even though it takes up a bit of room.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the picture. It's been a long time since I had children in the house. I can just visualize your little one and the game of peek-a-boo in this bright colorful house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it nice when children can sense what you need and fill that void? Sounds life the perfect ending to any day, but especially a stressful one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how our kids can read us so well...priceless! Glad you were able to turn the day around.

    ReplyDelete