Saturday, March 2, 2013

Little Shop of Horros



I went to see my school's production of Little Shop of Horrors last night, I hadn't seen the school show in a few years and this one was excellent.  The boy who played Seymour was excellent, he reminded me of Matthew Broderick with red hair.  He is a relatively shy kid and I had no idea that he could sing and act, it was a wonderful surprise.  Audrey was beautiful and had a great voice, but I have not had her as a student so I don't know her personality outside of the musical.  Our school has an abundance of talented girls, so Mr. Mushnik became Mrs. Mushnik and she was was hysterical!

I also decided to bring my 4 year old son, J, with me to see the show.  I knew it would be a little bit of a push since he did not nap at daycare, but I thought he would be up for it.  This was the first time he saw a live production and it was fascinating watching him.  We sat in the very first row, so that he could see well, but he still preferred to sit on my lap.  As soon as the show started, he was mesmerized.  Between scenes, he was concerned that the lights were out and that he couldn't see what was going on.  Occaisonally, he asked me questions about why something was happening.  At the end of the musical, Audrey gets half eaten by the plant and is covered in fake blood.  When she eventually got eaten, J had tears in his eyes "why does Audrey have to die?" he said in concern.  At the final curtain call, the boy who was the puppeteer for the Audrey II jumped out of the plant and J's eyes almost popped out of his head, he had no idea that someone was inside the plant!

It was a great night and J was fast asleep about 10 minutes into the car ride home.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! Whenever my husband and I go to the theater we always end up watching the little kids around us. Their reactions are priceless. Children have the ability to suspend belief, something many adults struggle with, and therefore they really believe the story! Bravo to you for taking him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Seeing the musical through your son's eyes is a special treat. I love the description of his reaction to the plant actor! Priceless!

    ReplyDelete