Thursday, March 28, 2013

Songs that are full of memories

Day 28 of 31
I made a quick trip to BJ's after dinner tonight and on the short drive there and back I heard two songs that invoked some pretty strong memories.

On the way there I heard "Piano Man".  I'm sure everyone who follows Two Writing Teachers has their own memory of this song.  For me, it was going to see Billy Joel in concert at Hershey Park Stadium.  It was July and I was about 2 months pregnant with my son.  It was the closing song and I think the whole stadium sang in unison. 

On the way home, I heard "Come on Eileen" which I don't hear that often.  Between junior and senior year in college, I planned a month long trip to Israel that turned into a three month trip (but that's another story).  One of my classmates on the trip was named Aylin (but pronounced Eileen).   Since it was 1997, we were still living in the land of mix tapes, so I guess someone had made a mix tape that included "Come on Eileen" and we must have heard it hundreds of times, much to her chagrin. 

I have always had an excellent memory, but as I get older, I find that my memory of dates is not as good as it used to be.  So I find it fascinating that songs can invoke memories so easily and so vividly.  When I hear a song that was once popular, I can remember the year, current events and what I was doing.  Does memory work this way for everyone?

4 comments:

  1. Music always brings memories! In fact, in college I used to study with music on and it helped me remember info for tests. I've always loved how a song can take you right back to a place in time and invoke strong feelings. It also relaxes me or it can rev me up, depending on the type of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The emotions that music evokes must be what ties the memories to the songs. It is true for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "Piano Man" memories are from high school. Lots of singing of that song during play/musical rehearsals (during down time).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Songs touched me in a very different way when I went back home this past summer. I got to hear songs that I haven't heard in years (not in English). Memories are definitely tied with songs. I also think about songs in movies; who did I watch that movie with?

    ReplyDelete