Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Bike riding

It doesn't matter the weather, when he has a spare minute he wants to RIDE HIS BIKE!

I don't think I've ever seen my 4 year old son have such excitement for anything outside.  Sure, he has a great time at the playground and he will happily dig the dirt out of each and every flower bed around the house.  But there is something different about him on his bicycle. 

I think he enjoys the sense of freedom while riding his bicycle.  He only rides back and forth on the sidewalk between our house and the next door neighbor, it's short enough to be safe but long enough to actually get moving.  Even though he rides with training wheels, he has crashed numerous times.  I'm not really sure how it happens but it doesn't seem to faze him.  Most of the time, he just rides with a big leisurely grin on his face.  

This past week, I was able to get an opportunity to ride my bike with him while my 11 month old daughter was napping.  A long time ago, I used to race bicycles, so my past relationship with riding is somewhat complicated.  But riding with J, I simply loved it.  We rode back and forth, along the same sidewalk.  Sometimes, for variation, instead of one house down we ride two houses down.  Yesterday, we went on a bike ride all the way to playground in my neighborhood, it was so easy for me and yet so hard for him on his little 12'' bicycle.  My neighborhood is quite hilly, so I will have to pack up the bikes so that we can find a flatter path somewhere.

My favorite part of bike riding is when we race.  J announces the same way every time. 
"Mommy, ready?  Ok, I'm going to count backwards from 1"
"4...3...2...1...GO!"
I can't even write this without laughing. 


2 comments: